Saturday 24 August 2013

My Take On Depression



A character in one of my favorite TV shows {alas, it has since been canceled!} defined depression as knowing you should feel differently from that persistent state of melancholy, but for whatever reason, can’t seem to. I can definitely relate. I’ve been on a gloomy bender for a few months now. External circumstances and reduced serotonin levels brought on by medication to manage two atopic ailments have not helped my mood much. I also want to apologize for being those bloggers who go awol when I vowed never to hop onto that bandwagon, but I do have a valid reason. In my hurry a day after my last post, my contact lens scraped the cone off my already diseased right cornea. For those embattled with Keratoconus, feel free to sympathize. The pain and infection that followed… Well, my eyesight depleted drastically and the left eye was of no help now that it is recovering from a prior surgery. Multiple trips to the ophthalmologist continue to mark my calendar and I’m glacially regaining some vision.     

It’s safe to say that this divagation didn’t do much to fill my days with cheer. Depression, when not addressed, simmers and transforms into a way of life. It’s hopelessness. It’s a constant sense of inadequacy. It’s an impediment to productivity, creativity and purpose. It’s a burden.

Regardless of race, gender, monetary worth or habitat, everyone feels this way sometimes. You didn’t get the exam results you studied so hard for, the one you love left you for another, you’ve received a life-altering medical diagnosis, your income consistently fails to erase your mounting bills, you lost a child, parent, sibling or close relative, you’re battling loneliness no matter how many people you surround yourself with,…the circumstances that precipitate melancholy are countless. Some use food as a pick-me-up, others turn to drugs and alcohol, anything to stave off the choking despair. Medication helps to erase the low, as does a great support system and professional help, but situations differ from one person to the next.

The most common solution to suspend depression’s carousel is suicide. There’ve been a spate of high profile suicides recently, with reasons ranging from drug addiction to online bullying. Whenever the allure to take a similar leap dredges up, I recall something someone once said to me. It takes courage to live. It’s a choice, to be happy or unhappy, to follow your dreams, to accomplish all you were meant to in this life… This sound advice is not often easy to lug around, but I will myself, and if I can do it, so can you. My approach may be pedestrian, to put it mildly, but it’s working. I identify something, anything to make my day count. Be it looking forward to vanilla ice-cream for dessert, or taking a walk on a rainy afternoon to calling a loved one just to say hi, I strive to make each day count for something! Before you know it, the hours have sidled past, then the week and if you maintain this momentum, years will ensue until your predestined time to leave this earth dawns.

Another positive approach is focusing on others and getting out of your head once in a while. Not everyone wears depression on their sleeve. That’s one of the reasons suicide jolts a majority of those the victim leaves behind. There were no visible signs. Take heart, oh you who are entrenched in despondency. No matter how gut-wrenchingly desperate your situation seems, in the seven billion plus people occupying the earth today, someone out there has it worse. It will get better. If I believe this, please do, too.


What to do when suicide appeals with each minute


Some blunt perspectives…
When your principles seem to be demanding suicide, clearly it’s time to check your premises.

Suicide creates a monstrous emotional upsurge of shame and guilt. Everyone participates in feeling responsible and even shamed at knowing the suicidal candidate. If these feelings are not healed, the vampire of suicidal death can strike again and again.

Nowadays, suicide is just a way of disappearing. It is carried out timidly, quietly, and falls flat. It is no longer an action, only a submission.

The reality of suicide is far different from the fantasy. Most suicidal thinkers romanticize their death by suicide, failing to realize that any suicide gesture or attempt can result in permanent brain, kidney or liver damage, loss of limbs, blindness, or even death.

Suicide sometimes proceeds from cowardice, but not always; for cowardice sometimes prevents it; since as many live because they are afraid to die; as die because they are afraid to live.

Suicide is man’s way of telling God, “You can’t fire me – I quit!”

Be yourself. If you water yourself down to please people or to fit in or to not offend anyone, you lose the power, the passion, the freedom and the joy of being uniquely you. It’s much easier to love yourself when you are being yourself.

Invisible wounds take longer to heal.

No one should feel so low, to the point where they feel they need to use suicide as a way out.

Constant pressure and anxiety leads to fear and depression. Have faith in God. He will come to your rescue.


Disclaimer:
The quotes above are borrowed from
and

Remember: This, too, shall pass! Hang in there!

Sites with more information


Great Bite?
Ham and Cheese Sandwich. It’s easy to prepare and filling on the days when you can’t face your kitchen.    

Purchase your copy of Love’s Pendulum here and here. Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think about today's post!